York City officials issued tips Monday on how to deal with the cold.
Here are the tips:
* Dress in layers of loose-fitting warm clothing. Wear a hat and mittens. Cover your mouth to protect your lungs from extreme cold.
* Frozen pipes could become a problem. Open cabinet doors under your kitchen sink and bath vanity. This will help keep your pipes warmer.
* Dead car batteries can leave you stranded. Carry a charged cell phone for emergency calls.
* Any power outage that occurs could leave people without heat. Don't use gas ranges/ovens as a source of heat. People may improperly use secondary sources of heat, increasing chances of carbon monoxide poisoning and fires.
* Stay indoors, minimize travel.
* Check on the elderly and your neighbors.
* Bring pets inside.
* Try to stay dry and out of the wind.
Reach Greg Gross at firstname.lastname@example.org