A Franklintown man escaped with his life after being shot by a gunman who barged into his home early Saturday morning, state police said.

And state police Trooper Jonathan Colarusso confirmed a home invasion that happened over the weekend a few miles away in Franklin Township could be connected to the shooting.

Northern York County Regional Police are investigating the township home invasion and have filed charges against an Army soldier, according to Regional Lt. David Lash.

Robbery not prime motive: Colarusso said that in the Franklintown incident, a group of people committed a home invasion at the 24-year-old shooting victim's apartment in the first block of South Baltimore Street about 12:30 or 12:40 a.m. Saturday.

The victim also was apparently robbed, but the trooper said the actual motive was likely to assault the man, whose name has not been released.

He was taken to a local hospital, where he was treated and later released, Colarusso said.

The victim was shot more than once and also physically assaulted, the trooper said.

Colarusso said the crime wasn't random -- that the victim and at least one of the home-invaders knew each other.

Possible connection: He confirmed state police have suspects in the crime, and said there's a "strong possibility" the shooting is related to Northern Regional's incident.

"We are definitely looking into a (possible connection)," Colarusso said.

Northern Regional Police have filed charges against one man so far in a violent home-invasion robbery in the 100 block of Whiskey Spring Road in Franklin Township, which happened at 1:23 a.m. Sunday.

He is Rico Carty Holmes III, 23, of the Walter Reed Army base in Bethesda, Md.

Arrested in Md.: Military investigators on Sunday arrested Holmes on behalf of Northern Regional Police, and he is now in custody awaiting extradition, Lash said.

Lash said he expects more people will be charged as well.

"Our investigators are working with Pennsylvania State Police to determine whether there's a connection between our home invasion and their ... shooting," Lash said.

According to Lash, two 17-year-old males were watching TV at the Whiskey Spring Road home when four men walked through the unlocked front door, wielding baseball bats.

Bound with duct tape: The men forced the teens to get on the floor and yelled for them to shut up and stay on the ground, police said.

The teens were punched, their hands and feet were bound with duct tape, and their mouths and eyes were covered with tape, according to police.

The group stole six firearms and 5,000 rounds of ammunition from the home. Taken were three bolt-action rifles, plus three assault rifles -- an AK-47 and two AR-15s, police said. The weapons and ammunition belong to the father of one of the teen victims, police said.

Guns at party: One of the teens told police he recognized Holmes' voice, and said Holmes was at the Whiskey Spring Road residence on Nov. 23 for a party.

While there, Holmes saw the firearm collection, according to police.

Once extradited to York County, Holmes will be charged with aggravated assault, robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, burglary, criminal trespass, theft, receiving stolen property and two counts of unlawful restraint of a minor, police said.

Holmes could not be reached for comment and it was unclear Monday whether he has retained an attorney.

-- Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com.