The York City School District has scheduled two meetings to share information with families about its transition plan for students of New Hope Academy Charter School, which has been ordered by the state to close by Jan. 15.
The state's charter school appeals board voted unanimously Oct. 15 to deny New Hope's appeal of the district's decision not to renew New Hope's charter. A written decision explaining the vote has not yet been released to the public.
After the decision is released, the school will have 30 days to appeal the board's decision to Commonwealth Court. School officials have said they plan to do so.
However, in the meantime, Superintendent Eric Holmes has said the district must prepare for a potential influx of hundreds of New Hope students into the district early next year.
Holmes reported at an Oct. 16 school board meeting that the district would reopen Hannah Penn Middle School in January to accommodate students from New Hope.
The district closed the school last year in a move to convert its six elementary schools to serve grades K-8. In July, the district - citing the potential need to enroll former New Hope students - sought the state's permission to reopen Hannah Penn.
About 815 students in grades 5 through 12 currently attend New Hope.
Hannah Penn will reopen next year to serve students in grades 5 through 8 from New Hope only, Holmes has said.
Older New Hope students will attend William Penn Senior High School, he said.
The district's first informational meeting for families of New Hope students in grades 5-8 is scheduled for 6:30 p.
Families of New Hope students in grades 9-12 are invited to a meeting at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 7 in the auditorium at William Penn, 101 W. College Ave.
For more information, call (717) 845-3571.
- Reach Erin James at email@example.com.