A Sunday fire at a Spring Garden Township salon has been blamed on spilled gasoline, according to a fire official.
Crews were dispatched to Salon Oxygen, 1666 Mount Rose Ave., about 2:30 p.m. and arrived to find flames at the rear of the business.
John Woods, battalion chief with York Area United Fire & Rescue, said the blaze was touched off when spilled gasoline was ignited by the pilot light of a water heater.
A man accidentially spilled gas from a gas can, which was dangerously close to the water heater. The gasoline-fed flames spread to the attic area of the single-story, wood-frame business.
A portion of the rear of the building was damaged by the blaze, Woods said.
"Crews got it (the fire) knocked down in about 10 minutes," Woods said.
Closed: A man who watched as firefighters searched for any remaining hotspots said he was the owner of the salon but declined to comment.
According to the salon's website, the business was closed for the day when the fire occurred.
The building also houses a massage business, Nature's Touch of Serenity, which was open Sunday.
The blaze has been ruled accidental, Woods said. He added damage is estimated at $40,000. No injuries were reported.
A portion of Mount Rose Avenue was closed as crews worked the scene. It reopened to traffic about 5:15 p.m.
Firefighters from York City, York Township and Red Lion assisted at the scene. - Reach Greg Gross at email@example.com.